The Royal Philatelic
Society of Canada
British North America
Constitution (revised Sept. 2009)
The Executive Committee
The Nova Scotia Stamp Club has been in existence for over 80 years in its current organization. Organized philately in Nova Scotia, however, is recorded back to the 1880s with the existence of the then Nova Scotia Philatelic Association. During the period 1865-77 the center of philately in Canada was Saint John, New Brunswick, with many philatelic journals being published. In the early 1880s the philatelic leadership in Canada passed to Halifax. Henry Hechler had started his business as a stamp dealer in the 1870s. There are advertisements from at least ten Halifax dealers in the Halifax Philatelist (1887-89), most of whom were active in the Nova Scotia Philatelic Association.
Minutes of the association meetings were recorded in the Halifax Philatelist from Jan 1887 to the last issue (Volume 3, number 7) in July 1889. The secretary and editor of the club was a prominent Nova Scotia philatelist and later Postmaster of Halifax, Donald A. King (1864-1934). Although originally meeting monthly, it was resolved in March 1888 to have two meetings per month, which was still being reported in the June 1889 edition.
The Canadian Philatelic Association (precursor to the Royal Philatelic Society of Canada) formed at a meeting in Richmond Hall on 19 September 1887. A list of officers, published in the January 1889 issue of the Halifax Philatelist, included a number of prominent Nova Scotian philatelists. Henry Hechler (1853-1928) of Halifax was by then the second president; Alvan J. Craig of Pictou, N.S., who had previously been president of the N.S.P.A., was the first vice-president for Nova Scotia, and succeeded Hechler as the third president. Harrison L. Hart of Halifax was the treasurer of both the associations and was later (1891-2) reported to be vice-president of the C.P.A. The February 1889 issue includes F.C. Kaye of Halifax on the executive committee. Donald King of Halifax became secretary in April 1889.
In September 1888 the Halifax Philatelist had become the official journal of the Canadian Philatelic Association when the publication of the Toronto Philatelic Journal was suspended. The Dominion Philatelist, which started publication in January 1889, replaced the Halifax Philatelist as the official organ of the Canadian Philatelic Association.
During the late 19th century other short lived philatelic journals were published in Nova Scotia: The Canadian Stamp and Coin Journal (1888-9), Halifax; The Maritime Philatelist (1891), Yarmouth, The Nova Scotian Philatelist (1893-94), Amherst, as well as stamp related publications The Useful Instructor (1887), Halifax and Young Canada (1887), Neil's Harbour.Top
The Officers of the NSSC are defined by the club Constitution. Two of the Directors are elected by the Club Membership and the third is appointed by the Executive.
Who can join? Anyone 16 years and older who wishes to promote the hobby of collecting, studying, exchanging and acquiring philatelic items and stamps.
Annual Dues: Dues are payable from July 1 to June 30 and are reviewed yearly by the Club Executive.
The dues are as follows:
Guests and Visitors to Halifax are always welcome to attend our meetings!
The Club Library consists of approximately 160 volumes and numerous periodicals. Club members in the Halifax area may borrow books by contacting the Club Librarian.
The most recent compilation of Library holdings can be viewed in the Club Library document.
This page and all contents
copyright © 2002-15,
Nova Scotia Stamp Club, all rights reserved.
Last updated 9 May 2015